Join Shop Free Mart! Sign up for free!

Monday, April 21, 2014

Meditation Simplified: Why It's the Wisest Investment in Yourself

The chief financial officer of a multibillion-dollar company is listening to me kindly, at best. His face holds a polite smile, but his eyes are flat as if to reveal, "What you're saying sounds nice, but let's be realistic, it's not for me." I've gotten this look before, many times from many people.
This is the inevitable moment in conversation catch-ups with old business colleagues where I have a decision to make. Either I put myself out on a limb to further satisfy their question of, "But what can meditation really do for me at work?" Or, I just let it go and allow the conversation to drift to the safer topic of summer plans.
Today, I decide to go off-roading from the path of least resistance and explain myself further. This CFO and I worked together for years and he offered me guidance and perspective that can only come from someone who's been in the industry for over 25 years. Now it is my turn to explain an investment strategy to him: how meditation will have the biggest return for your time spent that day.
Meditation came on my radar years ago, because it is one of the cornerstones of the yoga practice. For me, it was surprising to learn the purpose of the physical practice of yoga (the asanas, or poses done on a mat) is to prepare the body and mind for meditation (dhyana) -- the mental practice of observing your thoughts in a calm and clear way so they eventually slow down and you feel a powerful stillness settle in.From the stillness of meditation arises the wisdom we all hold deep within ourselves of what's right and wrong for us in life.  (MORE)

Source: Huffington Post

No comments: