Join Shop Free Mart! Sign up for free!

Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Top 3 Excuses for Not Meditating and How to Avoid Them

Life on any given day can be stressful in general, but the hustle and bustle of the holidays add emphasis to that stress, making us short-fused and unreasonable. I find that most people who come to me during this time are not clear thinking. Most of what transpires around them is a disconnection with the big picture and those in it. I've talked and written about the benefits of meditation in many of my lectures, blogs and books, and how we can learn to respond with reasonable thinking, rather than react with emotional action.
While I know I can't force people to meditate, I can point out what they might be doing that prevents them from creating a stress free mindset of awareness when they do try to meditate. Here is a list of the "excuses" people come up with to not indulge in mindfulness, as well as ways to overcome them.

I can't block out the noise around me, or the issues that bother me.
 
That's fine, then don't try to block them out. In fact, don't try at all, just do it. Sit and breathe and focus on the distraction so you address the issue rather than give it back burner status so it rears its ugly head again.

I have no time to meditate.

 Meditation is the simple act of breathing. You can take the time to breathe just like you take the time to brush your teeth: You make it part of your routine.

I have too many distractions.

 While I certainly understand that it can be hard to sit still and that we have life's daily interruptions to deal with, I also know that we have tools at our fingertips to help create a schedule that includes the process of mindfulness. Choose a soft instrumental CD and listen with headphones so that you create a vacuum of oneness with yourself.
There you have it: the top three reasons that people have told me is the reason it's difficult for them to meditate. None of them are valid because when you look at them singly, it's easy to see that people are avoiding the act of meditation rather than actually doing it. Making up excuses for doing so will only keep you in a stagnant position, when the opposite would create an awareness that will make life more manageable. (MORE)

Source: Huffington Post

No comments: