Join Shop Free Mart! Sign up for free!

Monday, November 4, 2013

Meditation Should Be More Mainstream

The first time I really learned about meditation was during my sophomore year of high school in an Eastern Religions class. A Buddhist speaker came in to talk about his experiences. Following the talk, I asked him how I could incorporate meditation into my everyday life. He said that every day right after I get up, I should sit on the side of my bed for five minutes and focus on my breathing.
That's all it was. Just five minutes, focusing on my breathing. Contrary to what I expected, there was no talk of spirituality or references to religious teachings. It seemed easy enough to give it a shot. All it took was setting my alarm clock five minutes early.

Today, four years later, I practice the same meditation that was taught to me that day: what I now know as a form of mindfulness meditation. It is a daily practice that helps me feel relaxed and focused and keep a clear mind during stressful situations. Like many other habits, getting started was the hardest part, but once I committed myself to it and felt the results, it became easier to do. (MORE)

Source: The Daily Northwestern

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Experience a unique immersion into your real and essential nature, the supreme and divine Self, through an artful integration of meditation and yoga techniques. Hridaya Yoga invites everyone to live with an open heart and discover the true potential of human life.
Meditation Retreat !