Join Shop Free Mart! Sign up for free!

Friday, September 23, 2011

Om, Don't Sweat It

The stormy economy and weather has me practicing more yoga than ever. And while these ancient techniques balance body and mind, perspiration is all part of the process. So what's an active yogi to do when she loves fashion?

Sweating is a healthy way to get rid of toxins -- but not when you're a yogi swathed in Lycra. Sure, the bike riding set loves this fabric and that makes perfect sense; it is uniquely aerodynamic and dries quickly.

But if you're not moving at 30 MPH then these threads defeat their own purpose, keeping you wet longer than necessary. So, au revoir, Lycra. I liked you in the '80s, when I was doing Jane Fonda workout videos and didn't know better.

Yoga teachers have their hands in some seriously sweaty places. Spotting down dog puts my entire body flush against the sweat zone, and whatever seeps out of my clients seeps all over me. I may aspire to the warrior goddess mantle, but after teaching a challenging class I run home to bathe. I like fabrics that breathe like my students do in a yoga class.

In an attempt to move toward more natural fibers and away from synthetics, I discovered Prancing Leopard, an organic and eco-conscious lifestyle brand made in Turkey. (MORE)

Source: Huffington Post

No comments: