Join Shop Free Mart! Sign up for free!

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Meditation Can Bring Peace

I learned to meditate in the most unlikely of places.

In the bathroom I shared with my older brother, I would find the most interesting reading material. It was there that I became fascinated with the human mind thanks to his Psych 101 textbook.

For several months, he left a book on meditation. So that's where I began my journey to master my mind and my emotions - not in a temple, a Zen garden or an ashram, but in the cold green-tiled bathroom of our basement.

I learned that I could find refuge from the anxieties of my teens and learn to tame the torrent of difficult emotions without drugs or alcohol.

I learned that though I had no control over most of the circumstances of my life, I could choose how I would react to them.

I learned that real peace cannot be found lying in the sun on a faraway beach, and real happiness is not a future time when everything is perfect. (MORE)

Source: The Record

No comments: