Join Shop Free Mart! Sign up for free!

Monday, October 25, 2010

Meditation One Way To Help Deal With Insomnia

As I’ve aged, my sleep patterns have too. I used to go to bed at 10 p.m. and wake up at 7 a.m. without any stirring. Now there are usually three trips to the bathroom and often during one of them I don’t go back to sleep easily. I know this happens to a lot of us baby boomers, so here’s what I’ve learned: meditate. Really.

As soon as I notice I’m not going back to sleep, I get up and sit in my meditation chair that I always have set up in my bedroom. Almost immediately I become aware of why I’m not sleeping. Sometimes it’s indigestion, sometimes there’s an issue spinning in my mind. Whatever it is, I’ve learned to just be with it, watch it, allow it to unfold without trying to control it.

Then when I go back to bed, I’m more relaxed and usually fall asleep immediately. There are two other tips, though, that can help if this isn’t the case. (MORE)

Source: AnnArbor.com

No comments: